It was during 1980 that the golf clubs started gaining popularity. As more and more people were attracted towards golf clubs, this aspect led to improvements of golf club construction and design. The basic improvements were made in the following aspects.
• Making the ball to go straighter and making the golf club to compensate for swing error. This is known as forgiveness in golf terminology.
• Enable the golf ball to move further and property of hard hitting of the golf club. This is termed as distance.
The basic principle of the golf is “hit farther and straighter’. Perimeter weighing, designing the golf club with low center of gravity and large sweet spot are the basic criteria of a golf club. Golf clubs which posses the above qualities is termed as game improvement golf club. However, there are only few golf clubs that meets the criteria. After having understood the basic requirements of game improvement golf clubs, let us elaborate about these basic criteria.
• Perimeter Weighting: In simple words perimeter weighting indicates that the weight of the golf club is not positioned at the center and the head is positioned around the perimeter of golf club. Small spot is the basic requirement for heating hard the ball at perfect dead center. This small sweet spot allows you to put more physical force on the golf ball impact point. This facilitates you in hitting a longer shot. Perimeter weighting is considered essential for optimum forgiveness attribute of the golf club.
• Low Center of Gravity: Popularity of low center gravity golf clubs is on increase in the golfers. Designing golf clubs with concept of low center of gravity enables hitting the golf ball high into the air as the weight is shifted to the club bottom. Golfer who do not have problem in hitting the golf ball high in the air may not give more importance to the property of low center gravity. But for those who have problem in the hitting golf ball high in the air, lower center of gravity plays major role in improving their game. Tungsten golf clubs pay more attention towards low center of gravity as tungsten is considered heavier that steel and tungsten allows golf club to have more weight.
• Large Sweet Spot: Usually, the large sweet spot is created with the design of perimeter weighting. This is the important place to make contact with the golf ball. Larger sweet spot is considered to be swing errors increasing. Shifting of perimeter weighting is considered to be the best way to hit the ball high in the air and correcting toe-miss-hits.
Golf wedges usually comes in different degree lofts. Most preferred degree loft wedges are 46, 52, 56, 60 and 64 degree lofts. Following are the few types of golf wedges.
• Gun metal golf wedges: These golf wedges are with 65 degree loft. Gun metal wedges bears sophisticated and sleek look. It gives slippery feel though this will not have any effect on your game.
• Designer Wedges: These golf wedges are color coded and colors are suggestive of degree lofts. For example Green (64), Red (60), Blue(56), Yellow (52) and Bronze (46). These golf wedges have proprietary Plasma finish.
Usually, specifications of all golf wedges are identical. You have to choose the right golf wedge that will facilitate you to hit the ball hard and straight.